Saturday, July 4, 2015

Hexie Star

Well here it the 4th of July already. Where has the first half of the year gone? 
Last night I was on edge so I picked up this hexie star and started to work on it. It helped me relax somewhat so I could get to bed eventually. I am back to getting up real early and not sleeping well at night. To much stress. 

This is colorful star. They are basted papers and are 1/2 inch on each side. I cut 1.5 inch strips for a lot of the scrap sewing I do so I use them to make my hexies with. I can carry a strip easily in my to-go bag and cut squares off of the strips for the number of segments I need in each color.

Then I have something with me to stitch on when I find the time. I baste with leftover sewing thread that is laying around for a couple decades and use the cotton thread for stitching them together. I figure the basting part doesn't matter because it is on the back and won't serve any purpose when the quilt is hand quilted. I paid for the thread might as well use it up.

So many different quilters who do machine quilting use all kinds of threads. Some of the biggest named quilters use polyester and rayon threads. So I figure use it up. Less in the landfill later one. I know some of you will be horrified, but the economics of it make sense also.

Today is the 4th of July 2015 and in the USA we celebrate. Independence Day is a milestone of the Summer. Kids are getting closer to going back to school and normally we have hot and humid weather. Today the high temp. will be about normal, but it is 58 degrees outside right now at 6:40 am.  The weatherman last night said we will have the most perfect weather in the whole country today. That never happens. So hopefully you will enjoy your 4th. Chris ps. Be safe.

No comments: