Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Baking instead of sewing

 I need to qualify this. I said I would vacuum my kitchen floor. So I wanted to make pies and that always means flour on the floor.
I bought these tins at the store. Big Box stores have them. My Mother likes pies off and on, but to make a whole pie it spoils before she would eat it all. So I bought premade blueberry pie filling and made my own pies.
They are 5 inch pies similar to the frozen pot pie size. 

I made my own crust but you could buy crust and cut it to size. 

Recipe for crust I like.

1 cup of shortening or lard which ever you use.
3 cups of unbleached flour all purpose
1 teaspoon of salt. 
I cut this in to the shortening and mix until pea size crumbles. I then add 6-10 tablespoons of ice water. I take a small bowl put ice in it and run water over the ice. Add 6 tablespoons of water to the dry mix and work in. If your flour is dry add more until it holds together. This makes three bottoms and tops for this size pans. When filled bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes or as brown as you prefer.

I bought 2-20.5 oz. cans of Blueberry pie filling mix. I divided it up evenly between the three pie pans. Works out just right. Then I added the top crust and bake. 
filling so I will make them, but not bake them. I will double plastic wrap them and freeze them unbaked. When you get them back out to bake them preheat oven to 350 F and bake frozen until golden brown. About 25-35 minutes depending on how hot your oven bakes. 

The next time I will know how many I can get out of the the ingredients I have used this time. You can use any kind of pie filling with this size pans. Perfect for some one alone or if only one person likes that kind of pie.

Now the floor can be vacuumed and I can get onto my next task. Sewing a back. See how far I get with the next project. Chris ps. Cost if you reuse the pans is about $2 a pie. Lots cheaper than the frozen ones at the store. 6 pans with lids cost about $3.69 at my stores. Think of the possibilities, pot pies, pecan pies, Even cream pies where you need a pie crust baked. Worth investment to me because of doing cooking for my Mother. 



No comments: