Tuesday, February 19, 2013

19.5 hours without electricity

We lost Electricity last night in a freezing rain and wet snow storm. No heat no water no electricity and no phone for 19 1/5 hours. It was horrible.

I went out to open the garage door for firewood and it was froze shut. The lock opening was all ice. Came back in and went back out with de-icer in hand and a flashlight and half way down the ramp I slipped and fell backwards and split my head open. After struggling to get this old body up and steady enough to walk back up the ramp I did stop to spray the lock. I came back in and said to my husband I think I am bleeding. Sure enough I split the back of my head open, but it is small, but you know how a head wound bleeds.

No water because we live with a well. I am waiting now for the water pipes to unthaw and get filled back up to get a shower. Mind you the windchill today was -15*F. Gusts to 35  miles per hour. Cold day.

We did keep the temp in the living room to about 62 degrees and it was a struggle to do that.

We went out and shoveled snow into pans to flush the toilets after it was melted and a pan full in the fridge to keep it cold. Any port in a storm.

I have a sore head and everything else will hurt tomorrow. I blacked out for a minute and woke up to hurting and feeling cold so I am sure the bed will happen early tonight. 4am this morning was a long time ago. Chris  

6 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

What an awful day you had! Take care of yourself, head injuries need rest.

Granny Anne said...

Oh ouch! Please take of yourself.

Hettie Pringle /Stitchingmatters said...

So glad we don't get snow. This sounds sore!!

sewyouquilt2 said...

oh no! hope you ar ok. talk about a bad day! feel better soon.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Oh, sweetie!! Did you need stitches? I am worried about a concussion. Yes, I am a mother hen and I worry about these things.

Katie M. said...

Oh, no... so glad it wasn't worst - it was bad enough! Another reason why I will stay a desert rat!EM