Sunday, June 19, 2011

Old Soul in and Old Body





No, no pictures of and old body. I have just spent two hours on a website that has line drawings of flowers and an archives of knitting, crochet, embroidery, tatting and counted cross stitching that will take you back to a time that once was. If you are into older patterns from before and after the turn of the last century you will find this fascinating.





This is were the old soul comes from. I love to look at tapestries and old crewel embroidery. I think I was born in the wrong century. Women would sit and sew whether it be quilts mending embroideries for hours by the hearth to stay warm and have pretty things for their families.





Many times girls would start a sampler only to pass away or to get it lost in a house fire. You weren't raise right unless you learned how to sew and knit or crochet. It was something every girl from about 4 years old on learned to do. some were Tom-boys, but they learned their stitching.





When I was young I learned to do the same. I was sick a lot as a kid and it was something to-do when I couldn't be in school. I am sure this is why I have such a love for the process and the finished piece.



The line drawing above I found on a free sight. Many of these things will be used for my personal use and I try not to infringe on any ones work. The websites I have been looking at are listed here. http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/ .Click on the word Catalog and it will take you to the right spot. If you have a time you want to see the history of needlework feel free to use these as a stopping off place to escape into the past and live through the pages that are free here. Lots of instructions and illustrations to entice the Old Soul in Everyone. Chris

No comments: