Monday, March 14, 2011

I guess I don't know what 1/4 inch seam allowance is??

I am finding out a lot about myself while doing these blocks. I first of all found out I need to slow down. Remember the saying the Hurrier I go the behinder I get. Well that is me. I didn't realize that I didn't handle my stitching right. As you can see I have to lines of stitching. Well I start out the seam right then I let it slip to less than 1/4 of an inch. I started as a garment sewer and not a quilter. I have sewn for almost 50 years. But I do not watch what I am doing. In making these 1/4 Log Cabin blocks I am finding out how careless I am.

AS you can see the starting and ending line of the stitching are different. Hence the extra line of stitching to make the seam right. As you know if it isn't square when you get to the end you have whonky Log Cabin blocks. Which is ok if that is what you intent.
I want these square. I blamed it on using a different ruler to cut the strips, but it is me. Maybe I need to drink less coffee. LOL Chris

2 comments:

Suzanne Thomsen Newsome said...

I can totally relate to the 1/4" seam dilema. Making 12" courthouse steps blocks with 1" strips! Imagine all the room for error. My 15 blocks so far are ALL different sizes - EVEN when I slow down! Happy Day! ~ Suzanne

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are not the only one who has that problem. About 50% of my students do that and so do I. The way for me to correct it is to hold onto the fabric all the way to the last stitch instead of letting go 3 stitches before the end. also concentration when starting the seam to not have it too wide.