Friday, November 13, 2009

Quilting

What goes through your mind when you quilt? My mind thinks about how things were done back in the day. When the day was I am not sure. It could be in the covered wagon days it could be the turn of the last century or it could be in the 70's when the quilting craze erupted again. I love to hand piece and hand quilt. Time doesn't always allow me to do this. In the winter months when the flowers have all faded away I find a comfort in sitting by the fireplace and using my hands to create. The warm colors of the fabric and the shapes they make are the light in my life at that time. Some days the dealings of everyday life can drag you down. When you pick up the fabric feel it take in the colors and the texture you get lost in the moment. Isn't it funny how we can loose our fears and anxious times in a piece of fabric or a book. Life can stand still if you are doing something you enjoy. I have become fascinated with new technics of quilting, knitting and gardening. I think the internet has changed my views of decorating styles and trends in the quilting world. I did a job that I had time for my mind to wander as I was doing my job. I would dream about the next quilting project I wanted to start and I would get lost in the moment. But do you know that the projects I dreamt about I have never done. It was an escape from what I was involved with. Have you seen the movie "The Bucket List" with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholas? Instead of a todo list they made a bucket list of things they wanted to do before they died. I think it is a good movie to watch. Rent it if it is available. You take away from this movie a different look at life after a certain age. Our desires and fears change as we age. We look at life different not through rose colored glasses as we did when we were still wet behind the ears. Life is grand and we make of it what we want. Go forth and have the Greatest Day you can and open your eyes don't miss anything. Painful or not it is your Life. Chris

No comments: